Use the following links to gain insight/knowledge about Tangerine, our next in-class novel. The answers may not always be found on the page you are linked to – you may have to explore the website until you find the answer! Be sure to type the URL exactly as it is printed here.
Read this article and interview with Edward Bloor, author of Tangerine:
1. Why would Edward Bloor have a good feel for middle school students? In other words, what experience does he have that helps him have insight into the middle school mind?
2. What was his inspiration for Tangerine?
3. What did Chris Williams from St. Petersburg like about Tangerine?
4. List the novels that Edward Bloor has written and the year which they were published.
5. What is the name of his most recently published novel?
6. Name at least two of the characters from the novel Tangerine.
7. Name at least one of the awards that Tangerine has won.
8. Enter the city/state name “Tangerine, Florida” into the blanks to see a map of Florida. Name the six lakes close to Tangerine.
9. How much would it cost to purchase 32 lbs of Honey Tangerines?
www.lightningsafety.com/nlsi_lls/fatalities_us.html (don’t forget the “underscore” between the “i” and the “l”!
10. Which state had the highest number of lightning fatalities from 1990 – 2003?
11. Which state had the least?
www.lightningsafety.com/nlsi_pls.html (again – remember the underscore)
12. If you were attending an Organized Outdoor Athletic Event, and you feel your hair standing on end and/or hear a “crackling noise,” what must be happening?
13. What is a sinkhole?
14. If you’re a Floridian and a sinkhole opens on your property, who ya’ gonna call? (list three places you could contact)
15. What is the underlying cause of sinkholes?
16. Where does most sinkhole damage occur?
17. Which type of rock is present in Florida? Evaporite or carbonate?
18. What causes muck fires, according to this article?
19. What three things provided the perfect conditions for the muck fire?
20. Besides smelling really bad, what other inconveniences did this muck fire cause?
21. Why did they have to close the local interstate highway?
22. When did this muck fire occur?